Saturday, June 20, 2009

Deciding when

So I mentioned my difficulty in deciding where I should go. The other big decision is when to go. When I initially started thinking about this idea a couple of months ago, I figured since I had the passport and the money, I was good to go, right? Uh. . .not so much. Apparently it takes a little bit more planning than that!

The biggest things I have to take care of before I leave are related to health. Different countries will require different immunizations that I'll have to get. Sometimes that's as simple as one pill or shot, but sometimes it will require multiple shots over the course of a couple months and then additional time for the vaccination to be effective. I don't have a regular doctor that I see, so I have to figure out how to get these immunizations and where to go to get them. While I'm at it, I also have to line up health insurance. I might be okay with taking the risk to not have health insurance while I'm state-side, but I'm not so foolish as to go without it while I'm many, many thousands of miles away from home. Besides, some countries will require me to show proof that I have it before I'm even allowed to enter.

Other than the health issue, there's various other planning and prep activities that need to take place. Each destination country's visa requirements need to be looked into. I'll have to figure out what to do with all of my possessions while I'm gone. The fun part of deciding what to do and see in each city/country I visit will have to be done. Also, as excited as I am to be doing this, I really do need some time to wrap my brain around the fact that "whoa, I am about to embark on an adventure like never before!"

Right now my target leave date will fall sometime between October 2009 and January 2010. There are pros and cons for each. October would work because my apartment lease will be up then and the weather will be nicer than January for some of the places I'd like to hit right at the beginning of my trip. On the other hand, January could be ideal because I'll get to go to the October wedding of some friends, I'd have more time to plan, I'd be in town for the holidays, and I'd be able to request travel related gifts for my birthday (hint, hint). Besides, 'World Travel 2010' has a nice ring to it. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Here's a place to get the vaccinations. Regular docs, like our GP, probably wouldn't have this stuff on hand. We had to take Eric here for some shot right before the youth challenge thing... Passport Health.

    It is in Locust Point/Federal Hill on Fort Avenue.

    ReplyDelete