Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Eid

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! And, since I'm in the middle east, Happy Eid, too. I was feeling a tiny twinge of homesickness the other day thinking about how I was going to miss my first major holiday, so I asked if I could make a traditional turkey dinner. And no one turns down a home cooked meal, so. . .that's my bird in the oven over there to the left. :-)

A couple of calls were made and a few hours of shopping was done and next thing you know, we had a feast in front of us! We were four total and I made turkey (of course), stuffing, mashed potatoes, glazed carrots, salad, apple crumb pie, and chocolate bourbon pecan pie. Speaking of shopping, that was quite the experience. Things that are easy to find in the states - nutmeg, poultry seasoning, fresh rosemary, karo syrup - are just not available here, so I kind of had to make some adjustments. And pastry dough! Man, I thought I was going crazy trying to find that. No one seemed to know what I was talking about. I kept asking, "Don't they make pies here?!"

Anyway, I'd say the meal was a success. I know I ate WAY more than I needed to lol. Afterwards we headed to Buddha Bar with some other friends and, well, it's already 1:40am now, so how 'bout I just end with a picture? I'll upload the rest tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. That's very exciting, and awesome that they let you cook for them. Of course, it's not like they were eating intestines or some other weird crap. Although, from a certain point of view, they did eat lots of mushy stuff that you pulled out of the turkey's ASS.

    I'm very glad we got to chat today. I won't go on about how much we miss you or anything, though, because you already know that. (-:

    We're both looking forward to chatting again in a couple of days. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your turkey looks pretty good! Have any of the
    people there ever eaten a traditional turkey
    before? Well, hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving sweetie. Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ToadMama - LOL! I hadn't thought of it that way, but you totally cracked me up. See you on Sunday!

    Mom - The turkey was very good, if I do say so myself. ;-) Except for the pecan pie, none of the other foods I prepared were "weird" in any way for my guests.

    ReplyDelete