Friday, July 24, 2009

To do list update

Things have been quiet around here the last few days, but that doesn't mean I'm not busy. HOURS have been spent researching, asking questions, and mostly trying to make decisions. The current to do list is as follows:

I officially know what the Kelley Blue Book value of my car is so now I'll have an idea of what I can sell it for. Still need to talk to the loan company to find out what I owe. Hopefully what I sell it for will equal what I owe, but even better would be if I could actually make a little bit on it. :-)

The dentist appointment has been made. My immunizations follow up appointment has also been scheduled. I've now decided to skip the Japanese Encephalitis vaccine because based on my research, the risk is relatively low unless you're in rural areas (like on a rice paddy or something). I'm going to stick to more urban areas for the most part, so I think I'll save my money ($450 just for the three course JE jabs). I already had my eye appointment and my doc and I have decided on a combo approach. I will use the monthly disposable contact lenses that I currently use in areas where sanitation isn't a concern - Europe, Australia, New Zealand. I'll use daily disposables everywhere else to minimize contact with my hands (washed in iffy water) to my eyes. And, of course, I'll take glasses as backup. Also health related: I've essentially decided what company to use for my travel health insurance, but still need to do a tiny bit more research first.

I've all but decided against purchasing a netbook. I'm just not sure that I'm comfortable with having that expensive an item with me. From what I can tell, internet cafes are super prolific and they're even equipped with Skype. If anything, I'll buy headphones (for Skyping - is that a word?) so I don't have to use skeezy public ones. Once I'm on the road, if I decide I'd rather have a netbook after all, I'll just buy one then.

I've also all but decided against a RTW airfare. I know, shocker, right? What I've discovered is that with RTW tickets you need to confirm travel dates at the time of purchase. This means that I'd have to decide now where I want to be 3, 6, 9 months from now. You can make changes to the travel dates (not the destinations), but of course that comes with a price - up to $350 per change. I want more flexibility than that. I want to be able to leave a city if I get sick of it, stay longer if I love it, or even go to a completely new city altogether just because I heard great things about it. Total one way fares will probably be about the same or maybe even a little bit more, but the added flexibility will be worth it. I plan to purchase the first leg of my trip (to Barcelona) in the next week or two.

So there you have it. I still have to lots to do, but I definitely feel like I'm making progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment